The manual enrolments plugin allows users to be enrolled manually via a link in the course administration settings. The process to manually enrol a user as a student is as follows:
- Navigate to the course you wish to enrol a user into
- In the Administration Block choose: Users > Enroled Users. A list of currently enroled users is displayed.
- Choose the Enrol Users button to open the enrol dialogue.
- Use the search function to find the user you wish to enrol in the course.
- Once you've reviewed the enrolment options at the top of the dialogue making sure 'Student' is selected as the assigned role you can click the Enrol button adjacent to the users name.
- Click the 'Finish Enroling Users' button at the bottom of the dialogue to return to the list of enroled users.
- Users must first register on the site and confirm their e-mail address before an enrolment can take place.
- Once a user is enroled as a student; they may be assigned to a pre-existing group. Go to Users > Enroled Users and click the + sign under the groups column to assign a group.
Self enrolments by students can take place using a unique key for the course which the student would enter manually to allow them enrolment into a course. A course can have a global course enrolment key or a group enrolment key which would separate students into managable lists.
To set-up student self-enrolment follow these steps:
- Navigate to the course you wish to setup an enrolment method
- Choose Users -> Enrolment Methods from the course administration block
- Select the gear next to the 'Self enrolment (Student)' option
- Review the options available:
- Enrolment Key: This is the global course key. If you enter an enrolment key, only users that know the key will be able to enrol themselves into a course. Leaving it blank will allow anyone to enrol themselves into the course. You must enter a key if you want to use group keys.
- Group Keys: It's better practice to use group keys since this will separate students into manageable groups. Enable this option to allow group keys. Remember to set group keys if you enable this option.
- Once you're complete, save the changes at the bottom of the page
- Ensure that the enrolment method is available by toggling the eye. If there is a strikethrough over the eye then students cannot enrol using that method.
Groups are a useful way to separate the people enroled in a course. This is very handy when you're dealing with a large number of students as the completion lists can get long and difficult to understand. Users are added to groups either after enroling them manually or by allocating different enrolment keys to different groups.
Here's how to set-up a group:
- Navigate to the course you want to set up groups in
- In the course administration block choose Users -> Groups
- Choose an existing group and select Edit Settings, or choose Create Group
- Complete the group settings, making sure to type an enrolment key. Anyone who uses this key will be assigned to the group.
- Click Save Changes when you're complete.